Saturday, 18 October 2008

Furniture and IT Equipment Conditions in SoC

Go to the study area in SOC. Find a nice study table with a innocent looking chair. Sit down.

A Computer Chair - image stolen
A Computer Chair - image stolen
Count your lucky stars if you get a chair that doesn't have any one of these problems:

  1. Automatic height adjustment feature. Seat goes down when you sit down, lifts up when you get up.
  2. Gas lift doesn't work and hence you find yourself the shortest kid in the area unable to raise the chair.
  3. Leaning back suddenly gets the whole area's people to look at you - the back of the chair creaks loudly
  4. Leaning back is impossible without you toppling over as the back of the chair leans too much.
  5. The back of the chair is set to the bottom at the lowest possible giving only lower back support

Regardless, I am thankful for the study areas that NUS SoC is providing as compared to other faculties.

When you go to a lab to use the computer...

Check out the ergonomics!
Check out the ergonomics!

The monitor is now higher than you. And you can't lower it. The best you can do is to tilt it downwards.

You still have to tilt up your head to view the top part of the screen.

And the chair syndrome also exists there.

In the PCs, ClearType is disabled and the Appearance display tab in Display Settings is removed. Probably to stop me from changing the wallpaper. Changing the wallpaper only affects my user account so I can't figure out why NUS has such a policy.

And don't get me started on the numerous dialog boxes that you have to close and click OK whenever you login. Up to THREE 'Message of the Day (MOTD)' and there's even one in the webpage that opens up.

That's not all...

Mouse Shit? Eewww
Mouse Shit? Eewww
I have seen worse than this, this is just one of the moderate cases. And finally...
Broken Keyboard Stand - Better Ergonomics?
Broken Keyboard Stand - Better Ergonomics?
Sometimes you have to wonder, how did that person break it? I'll leave it to your imagination...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chair problems are also common in COM1, esp the lvl 1 printing area...

The labs in SOC1 lvl 8 are actually quite dirty, cos ppl bring food to eat there and nvr clean up. Can find food scraps and ants lor. COM1 is cleaner... but as soon as more n more unconsiderate ppl who bring food there to eat nvr clean the place up, the place will become dirty very soon.

Just to share one of my recent encounter... I was at a study table in COM1 near the exit to the business canteen. I kept smelling food (I thought was marshmallow), but I looked around I saw no one eating tt (or anything w tt kind of smell)... After some time... I saw my shirt stained with sth brownish. The smell was getting intense? I looked under the table... Yucks! Someone has put/spreaded chocolate under the table. The person must have done it deliberately!!!