Wednesday, 29 July 2009

NUS SameMail LargeMail - The Same Mail As Before

It's been said that things that are too good to be true, are usually are. NUS Large Mail is a fine example of that.


What it actually means. Source

When you go to the fine print of this upgrade here, it becomes clear. What is thought to be a simple 1GB upgrade of all mailboxes is actually a complicated addition of a secondary 'vault'. Something like the Closed Bidding period in CORS - where things can be quite random.

Actually, it works to a extent. But only if the rate of incoming mail does not exceed the rate it archives the mail. Sure, it auto archives my mail for me every month. But if I happen to receive lots of large files in 2 consecutive days, I still have to login to clear my inbox as the archival kicks in at an unknown period of time.

There's still no peace of mind.

With e-mail accounts like GMail, I don't have to worry about exceeding my allocated space as the 7GBs of space is all there for me to use.

However, if I could just move every single mail to that 1GB 'vault' automatically, then it would be a great! But no...


The hidden truth about NUS LargeMail

No, you can't change the automatic archival limit to archive every single mail. You need to do this manually... and use Outlook... and install some extension software... and.. you get the idea!

So what's the actual e-mail space you have? 0.03 GB. All right stop rubbing your eyes! I said it correctly, it's 30 MB. The same. At Yahoo, Hotmail and Gmail, you get over 1GB (1000MB) of space.


At these providers, you get more than 1GB of real space! (Image stolen)

Perhaps NUS should dump Microsoft Exchange and move to Google Apps. Let Google handle all the space and maintenance. This would mean relying on a provider across the Singapore borders... but .. Oh well, let's not get too academic here.

So how to resolve this for now? For those of you with GMail accounts and know how to do it, configure GMail to collect email from your NUS mail via POP3. If you are using Live! Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail or any other e-mail account, you can use NUS email redirection service - AutoForward - but it can be difficult to distinguish some NUS mails.

See my other post on how to connect your GMail account to NUS's E-mail system.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i use my gmail for my NUS mail, but do be informed that Microsoft Outlook comes with a archiving option, which you can use to archive/unarchive your mail(s) anytime. I'm not sure about the online version of it, but i know that the desktop version has it.