Saturday, 5 August 2006

5 Reasons Why SoC Freshmen Orientation Sucks

  1. Mostly Games, Games and nothing but Games
  2. They will not let you see the schedule so that you can avoid the games and attend the important briefings.
  3. They try to coax you in by telling you it also has lectures (when its only 10-15% only)
  4. They make you do stuff that you don't like to do - eg dancing, doing embarrassing stunts, etc
  5. The number one reason, to find more friends. IMHO, I don't think it is easy to find mates for taking modules together. There are SO many modules that each person will have their preference for module taking
5 Reasons Why SoC Freshmen Orientation Doesn't Suck

  1. You meet new friends, but only within your group.
  2. You make friends with many experienced seniors, whom you can approach for advice on academic matters
  3. You will get to know your NUS campus better
  4. You get to learn the difficulties of modules, if the seniors have taken them
  5. And will get all the above through GAMES!

Otherwise, I managed to get all the modules I bidded for in CORS with 2 days of consistent planning. Not much competition as I have a advantage as being a freshmen and having "protected" slots, and furthermore exempted from some modules. Its ironic that NUS, being a institution, does not have basic usability principles in many of their systems. For example, in the TimeTable Builder site, after you have chosen your modules, and started planning, it doesn't allow you to easily add more modules to the list while preserving the tutorial and lecture classes I chose. And in the CORS system, they have a Search Box for finding modules. One would expect it to find the code in all modules that are available to me, not just in the current category. And why isn't CORS updated with my free MCs? It shows me Zero, ko-song?? Tried the 1800 776 2242 (a NUSSU Hotline) number yesterday. Guess what - "leave a voice message". 2 calls at 4pm and 7pm. Now I need to figure out if I can access my NUS mail through POP3...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

u can access your NUS email through POP3. Do a google on NUS webby.

NUS Computing Student said...

Yep I know - it was just a concluding statement :)

Anonymous said...

=D why are u so funny? but the comments provoke thought. lol.