Wednesday, 2 August 2006

Welcome To My First Post

I started this blog as a personal diary of my life in NUS. First, a little intro. I am a guy. I joined NUS on August 2006. I did not know what is CORS or points or module bidding or what I am going for in the course. My choice was limited to Computing degree only as my IT diploma only allowed me this. So I happily picked Computing and they accepted me in. 1st August 2006, 2pm. That was when all the answers were given. It left me worried, very worried. Why didn't NUS release all these on a earlier date than 1st Aug 2006? Things that increased my Worry Level - The number of Maths modules. The problems that CORS (Centralised Online Registration System) can cause if you did not plan properly. The number of modules that I had to bid for and complete. And the MAJOR worry - I have BARELY much time to think about it. They stared squeezing Matriculation Fare and Freshmen Graduation for the rest of the week and next too! Thinking about it, I should have stayed in a hostel. After all, it takes about 1.5 hours from my home to the NUS campus. Then again, hostel staying comes with its problems of room mates, cost, parting with my sweet home and of course, my home computer. Hopefully, I get to understand the CORS system enough to plan my timetable for classes at 11am-3pm. And avoid the Maths modules. At the moment, I am thinking to go for the 3 Year Degree course with Business Focus - it has only 2 Maths modules! I don't need the Honours as I know I am a average student only and will probably get only 2nd Lower or Upper at most. The Matric Fair today made my "NUS celebrates 100 years" bag super heavy. Luckily I brought my carrying bag along and it went to good use. Things I got were water bottle, NUS mug, SPF pen, canvas bag and loads of advertising papers. If you are looking for a laptop for studying (and *only* studying), get it from NUS. What, you thought I'll say not to get it from NUS? Well, I'm coming to that. If you are looking for a laptop for *both* studying and gaming, then *don't* get it from NUS as NONE, except for Apple's $3500+ Macbook Pro, has a good dedicated graphics card for gaming. When I asked the vendor why, they claimed NUS does not allow any laptops with dedicated gfx cards ('cept for Quardo Professional series) for tender. Luckily, some of them were willing to sell me such laptops at student price minus the Macromedia Studio 8 and other NUS stuff which I don't need anyway. Not gonna reveal them here but I need to say this, the NUS Co-op or whatever IT dept in charge of the tender are really too much. Why not just let the vendors sell the laptops openly and let US choose what WE want? Student Union? you listening? And where's Dell - the budget but quality IT Laptop company? Gotta sleep now - long first post. Freshmen Orientation tomorrow. Hope it grows to be a at-least-3-updates-a-week blog.

No comments: