Monday, 21 August 2006

The Forbidden Send Button In Outlook Web Access

Normally, I use my Outlook to reply to e-mails. Today, I happened to be in the lab and I had to use the web interface to reply to an e-mail.

Again, I had to login, even though I am logged in onto NUSNET already.

Implement a standard login page for all systems!

I kept entering the password when the focus was at "remember UserID" as I am used to pressing "Tab" after entering my username .

Then I realised that its because that "remember UserID" should be placed after the Password box and not before it. Again, a special NUS only irritating feature :-/

Anyway, I proceeded to log in.

The interface was almost similar to Microsoft Outlook. I knew immediately what to do to create a new mail.

I click New Mail, spent about 10 minutes typing out a message...

Almost like using Microsoft Outlook!

Now after hitting the Send button...

Ah, a popup that IE is blocking. Gotta allow it. Easy, just right-click the yellow bar...

and allow the pop-up...

The window refreshes and... my message..! Where's my message?! My 10 minute long message!

Unfortunately, this was one of those rare times where I forgot to hit Ctrl+C before hitting the Send button.

NUS CORS Tutorial Balloting

It's bad enough that I have to ballot for my tutorials. After spending 15 minutes to select 22 tutorial slots that I was able to fit in my time table, I finally hit the Next button.

And I get presented with this error message.

Seems that I can only select a maximum of 20 classes.

Why wasn't there at least a JavaScript function to check this requirement on the first page itself?

OK, I scroll down. Guess what I saw?

All the checkboxes cleared. (None checked)

That's right, I spent 15 minutes carefully selecting tutorial slots, and one error message destroyed all my efforts for that period. I had to recheck, and manually count them by hand again.

Test a system with many users before releasing it - this way, you get problems and suggestions from the user's point of view, not from a developer's point of view.

No comments: